Re: JOKE IN CARROLL, CHEATING CHEETAHS....

>In discussing the Macroscelidea (Elephant Shrews), Carroll says "Novacek
>(1984) drew attention to the similarities of elephant shrews to members of
>the order Rhinogradentia (Stumpke, 1967)." Stumpke (there's an umlaut over
>the "u") wrote the classic, tongue-in-cheek, zoological study of the
>"Snouters," a group of fictitious beasties that bounced around on their
>noses.

I don't have the book immediately to hand but my recollection is that
"Stumpke" was himself a fiction.  Actually "The Snouters" (a true classic,
and I'll have to look for my copy) did not invent the beasts; they were
first thought up by a peculiar turn-of-the-century German poet (whose name
also escapes me, but his poem on "The Nasobeme" is quoted in the book - The
poem has actually been set to music (again, I can't remember by whom) as
part of a set of lieder on the poet's works (which also included, if I
recall, a song about mammoths)).

There -wasn't that an informative posting? (I know the book is around here
somewhere...)
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada L5L 3W2          Internet: ornstn@hookup.net
Office: 130 Adelaide Street W., Suite 1940
Toronto, Ontario Canada M5H 3P5