Re: JOKE IN CARROLL, CHEATING CHEETAHS....

On Thu, 29 Jun 1995, Ralph Chapman wrote:

>  Now some of you out there will have a copy of Carroll's 'Vert. Palaeo.'. Here
>  in sunny so'ton, WE DON'T. So, if you have this volume to hand, could you
> please
>  do me a favour? On p.487 of said volume, there is supposed to be a joke.
> Pleas
>  mail it, as I'd like to know what it is. Many thanks.....

In discussing the Macroscelidea (Elephant Shrews), Carroll says "Novacek
(1984) drew attention to the similarities of elephant shrews to members of
the order Rhinogradentia (Stumpke, 1967)." Stumpke (there's an umlaut over
the "u") wrote the classic, tongue-in-cheek, zoological study of the
"Snouters," a group of fictitious beasties that bounced around on their
noses.

                                        -= Tuck =-