Re: best professors

I second Tom Bowen's (USGS) selections.  To have studied vertebrate
paleontology at the
University of Wyoming under the leadership of Jason Lillegraven and Paul "Doc"
McGrew is a
source of intense pride for me.  "Doc" is no longer with us, but the excitement
he generated in
me for the study of ancient vertebrates will always be present.  From "Jay" I
came to learn the
importance of attention to details.  Speculation is cheap, proof of ideas is
not and requires much
work, discipline, and solid evidence.  Simply to have been a student of
vertebrate paleontology
in Wyoming, a treasure-house of vertebrate fossils and a state of immense
beauty, was in itself
an absolute delight.

Tom also mentioned Jeff Eaton.  Jeff was a fellow student of mine at UW as well
as curator for
the UW Geological Museum.  I believe he is now at the Utah Museum of Natural
History.  Jeff
has an uncanny ability for spotting tiny teeth in the field as opposed to my
knack for crunching
them underfoot.

Dr. Jack M. Callaway, Texas A & M International Univ., Laredo, Texas, and
Rochester Institute
of Vertebrate Paleontology