Re: Cerapoda1 and Cerapoda2

On Tue, 27 Jun 1995, Paul Willis wrote:

> >   I'm just curious,( while we are on the topic of errors) has anyone
> >noticed in the Robert Carrol book _Vertebrate Paleontology and Evolution_
> >that the picture of the Dilophisaurus skeleton is missing the two crests.
> >Why is it not pictured?? Comments?

When Dilophosaurus was discovered the first specimen did not have the
crest well preserved or they were detached from the skull.  Some early
paleontologists believed that the crest might have been some kind of
fossilization freak.

> And, if you can explain that, why does this illustration also lack ribs?

Again the first specimen lacked many of its ribs.  So the illustration
showed only the material found...not much speculation.

---John Schneiderman (dino@revelation.unomaha.edu)