Re: DNA

>I read an article in the sunday paper reprinted from the New York Times. It
>concerned scientists who thought they had discovered traces of dino DNA on
>bones they had dug up. As it turned out, the DNA was actually human. Is it
>possible to transfer human DNA simply by handling an object like a fossil?

The PCR process they use to detect DNA material, just takes whatever DNA
sequences exist and makes huge numbers of copies.  This greatly amplifies
whatever DNA sequences that were present, including any contaminants from
handling, or even falling out of the air.  So great precautions are needed
to try to avoid contamination and to try to detect if it has occured.

Art