Re: Bird-talk again...

> A lot of reconstructtions I have seen of dinosaurs look and behave (in
> cartoons, movies etc.) like birds.  One aspect I have noted lately is that
> nearly all birds hop when on the ground.

A moments reflection on the hopping ability of modern birds brings me

Hopping                          Walking

Sparrows                         Seagulls
Blackbirds                       Secretary Birds
Finches                          Ostrich
                                 Rhea
                                 Cassowary
                                 Emu
                                 Kiwi
                                 Pukeko
                                 Pidgeon  ?
                                 Chicken
                                 Turkey
                                 Heron
                                 Stork
                                 Flamingo

I could be wrong, I haven't done any exhaustive research here, but I
can't think of a single bird larger than a starling which hops.

> Has there been any evidence found
> (tracks and traces) that dinosaurs hopped?  Even so, would many dinosaurs
> be capable of hopping?  I could easily visualise a small dinosaur hopping,
> but a ten metre long hadrosaur for example, would look quite funny if not
> impossible.

How big was the largest Kangaroo?

---
Derek Tearne  -  http://webservices.comp.vuw.ac.nz/artsLink/ManyHands/
Some of the more environmentally aware dinosaurs were worried about the
consequences of an accident with the new Iridium enriched fusion reactor.
"If it goes off only the cockroaches and mammals will survive..." they said.