Re: Bird-talk again...

>A lot of reconstructtions I have seen of dinosaurs look and behave (in
>cartoons, movies etc.) like birds.  One aspect I have noted lately is that
>nearly all birds hop when on the ground.  Has there been any evidence found
>(tracks and traces) that dinosaurs hopped?  Even so, would many dinosaurs
>be capable of hopping?  I could easily visualise a small dinosaur hopping,
>but a ten metre long hadrosaur for example, would look quite funny if not
>impossible.

>Darren R. Grocke

I'm not sure about evidence, but I would be surprised if many dinos hopped
(though some may have).  The analogy to birds is not quite thorough enough.
Though many birds both walk and hop, most of the "hoppers" are members of
groups that are primarily arboreal, though the species themselves may be
secondarily terrestrial; erven many of these (eg larks) walk rather than
hop.  In trees, hopping is much more useful than walking; the opposite may
be true on the ground (except, perhaps, in boulder-strewn areas - hence
Rockhopper Penguins, Cape Rockjumpers etc.).  Groups like shorebirds,
ratites, phasianids etc are walkers, not hoppers.
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada L5L 3W2          Internet: ornstn@hookup.net
Office: 130 Adelaide Street W., Suite 1940
Toronto, Ontario Canada M5H 3P5