Re: Cold or Warm Blooded

> > the plates.  Why a stegosaur would do this, I don't know, since I can't
> > imagine it having _too_ much of an effect either for defense or mating, but
> > it's possible!

>Where displays used to attract mates are involved, it doesn't pay
>to reject *anything* out of hand!  If the lady stegosaurs decided
>they liked neon males, such a thing could well evolve.

Another example of this is in chamelions. In some species competing males
use colour to win a mate. The male who produces the most impressive colour
(usually red, but I think some species vary), wins the mate.

Also in certain species, the female undergoes a dramatic colour change. I
think one species goes from lime green to black with green spots. Sort of
saying "I'm not interested!"

Sorry I don't know the names of any of the species. Fascinating little
critters, though. Can you call reptiles critters?

James Shields  -  jshields@iol.ie  -  http://www.iol.ie/~jshields
And when the ark was finished Noah said unto Elvis, "What do you reckin?"
And Elvis checked out his own cabin and shook his head saying "poky".
And so did they knock several walls through and install a jaccuzzi.
And when it was all done Noah scratched his beard and said, "We don't have
room for all the animals now."
And Elvis perused the livestock list and in his wisdom said, "Lose the
dinosaurs."
        -Robert Rankin, The Suburban Book of the Dead