[ARe: Museum Displays, Stego splitting

On Fri, 23 Jun 1995, Mike Bonham wrote:
> Many of the mounted skeletons are posed identically to life-images on the
> wall mural behind them.  This is a most effective format: look down and
> you see delicate dromeosaur skeletons mounted as if engaged in tearing
> meat off the centrosaur carcass in the bonebed.  Look up at the wall and
> you're on the ancient mud-flat in the midst of dead bloating ceratopsians,
> with vicious coyote-like dromeosaurs feasting on the carcasses, hide
> flayed and meat and ribs exposed to the dusty air.

Great description!  I think I'll have salami for lunch today!

> However, there's a new display on the concourse outside the building
> in front of the main doors, which completely blows even that one away!
> Albertosaurus is chasing a couple of terrified ornithomimids over the
> concrete planters and past the museum's decorative pond, done in bronze
> in fabulous, tendon-snapping detail.  Veins and muscles bulging, eyes
> bugged out screaming ostritch-mimics running for their life from a truly
> ferocious, focussed and hungry-looking tyrannosaurid, frozen in metal at
> 45 km/h plus.  Little details continue to pop out and amuse you as you gaze
> at the scene: one fugitive is in the midst of changing direction, looking
> over its shoulder, digging its claws into the soft gravel of the concrete!
> One heck-of-a fine piece of statuary, beats General Wolfe at the Calgary
> Science Centre cold!

Now you've got me salavating, so I think I'll go have a pepper steak
instead.  I gotta see this.  My all-time favorite "Hello, you're here and
we have dinosaurs" lobby greeter is at the Denver Museum of Natural
History.  One realy BIG and I mean BIG TALL menacing looking T_Rex on
a pedastool 12 to 15 feet tall.  The mural in the background is the same as
the cover on Bob Bakkers book.  I just got my pictures developed.  What a
treat that was.  I must of spend 45 minutes looking at that one mount alone.

        Greg Claytor
        greg1@svpal.org