splitting headache

No, this isn't a flame. With the recent talk of splitting, especially
regarding stegosaurus in the Morrison formation, I was wondering, just
when would a species become a species? That is, what differentiates two
species from each other rather than them being cases of a) individual
differences within a species occurring at the same time, or b) changes
within a species that have occurred over a period of time. If I've gotten
anything from the cladistics discussions, would the difference lie in the
occurrence of a particular characteristic? That is (and I do this more
because I'm not quite sure if what I'm saying is what I mean) species A
has a particular characteristic that species B does not have (or would it
be vice versa)? I'm not necessarily trying to start an evolutionary
theory discussion here, though if a gradualist approach to dinosaur
evolution doesn't hold and a punctuated approach does, please feel free
to provide examples.
Blaise "Another satisfied Dino-list customer" Considine
[bpc.apa@email.apa.org]