Re: Museum Displays

>Why is it that there are very few exhibits in these museums that can
>show both skeletal, as well as a display that shows a complete dinosaur
>with skin and teeth?

        Having been at least tangentially involved with setting up a new
prehistoric life exhibit, I can say that the top reason is probably COST,
followed closely by SPACE.  Both, in any museum, are at a premium,
especially as costs must be largely derived from donations, which are, of
course, infrequent, at best.  Our new exhibit does have a few fleshed-out
animals, mostly in the dioramas.  They don't take a short period of time to
create!!!, as I've seen our exhibits sculptors work on a single one for
months.  Skeletons, likewise, take a good deal of time to mount.  We have
very few duplicates...that is, only a couple of organisms represented by
both skeletal and sculpted mounts, and those that are are small (e.g., the
boomerang-headed amphibian _Diplocaulus_).  Our exhibit is large, and cost
$7.7 million as it is!  Any more would have been virtually impossible...we
didn't even get that final amount until construction was well under way.

Jerry D. Harris
Denver Museum of Natural History
2001 Colorado Blvd.
Denver, CO  80205