Advice needed

     I have had an interest in paleontology all of my life.  As I have grown
older, my interest has intensified.  However, I am at an awkward point in my
life--that is, I have to decide whether or not I should pursue it
(paleontology) as a profession.  I have debated this for the past two years
now.  I am finishing up an Associate degree in science at a community college
and am about to transfer to a four year school.
     Would geology be a wise choice for an undergraduate degree?  I am aware
that as a paleontologist I will have to get a PhD.  I have heard that is
still next to impossible to find a teaching position at a college or
university and equally difficult to land a job with the USGS.  What can I do
to make a living?