BOB THE SPLITTER, QUETZALCOATS..

BAKKER AND MOROSAURUS

Who was it that told me about Olshevsky and Bakker oversplitting genera? Bakker
(I don't yet have the Olshevsky material) includes Epanterias, Morosaurus and
Creosaurus amongst his 'famous Morrison dinosaurs'. In Hunteria vol. 2 no. 6,
_Epanterias_ is diagnosed as 'giant allosaur... with a maximum skeletal size
20% greater than that of any other allosaur sample'. Kirkland and Stephenson
have discovered a third locality yielding 'Epanterias' - I wonder if they think
it deserves generic distinction?

In the same paper, Bakker mentions three Stegosaurus species alien to me:
_sulcatus_, _armatus_ and _duplex_. A while ago he wanted S. ?stenops to be a
separate genus, _Diracodon_ (or was it _S._ laticeps_?). I'm not really
questioning Bakker's allocations here, but it now seems that Stegosaurus is
quite a multispecies genus. If you're a successful genus, certainly makes sense
to evolve multiple species... Multispecies genera, like Stegosaurus, make for
exciting faunas because sympatric species have to evolve different feeding and
behavioral adaptations - there would be a plethora of plate colour designs and
arrangements (I'm not implying that all these species lived in the same place
at the same time - they didn't). It has even been hypothesised that stegosaurs
evolved 'better' techniques of broad-side display through their history, and
thus there was alteration in the location of plates along the back.

QUETZALCOATLUS

Does anyone out there have a COMPLETE copy of the Geo article featuring the most
up to date restoration of Quetzalcoatlus? My copy is missing a couple of pages.

BATTAT ETC. IN THE UK..

If you're in the UK, and you really desperately long for the Battat, Safari or
Sleiche models, e-mail me if you want help.

"We give THEM yellow poison, they give US yellow creatures.."
"Nor were the largest mammals of all time - the cetaceans - affected by mass
extinction"
"Man covers the Earth with his mistakes"
"To lose a parent is tragic, but to lose two is downright careless"
"It stood up in the lake - it was brown, had a long neck, and the sun shone off
its back"
"Mmm... artistic license I suppose.."
"FROM HELL'S HEART I STAB AT THEE. FOR HATE'S SAKE I SPIT MY LAST BREATH AT
THEE"
"For guys with cold blood, you're getting pretty hot-headed"
"Calrissian - take the princess and the wookie to my ship"
"Politics is a very intellectual pastime. It's kind of doing things that gets
things done, isn't it?"  "I dunno. Let's talk about it some more..."

DARREN