Re: Gender differences[D[D[D[D

>There is some good stuff on recent evolutionary chnges in
>labs and nature in Confronting Creationism: Defending
>Darwin, Selkirk & Burrows Eds, University of New South Wales
>Press, 1987 isbn 0 86840 178 1, in a chapter by Mike Archer.
>Mike is Prof of Zoology at UNSW and is responsible for an
>enormous find of very early marsupial fossils at Riversleigh in
>northern Australia.  He named one find, a giant snake Monty
>Pythonides and some other animal with very peculiar teeth as
>Thingodont.  It's not relevant, but I like it anyway.
>
>Barry Williams
>The Skeptic of Oz

Sorry Baz, just a couple of points.

The Riversleigh fossils are not very early marsupials. The deposits there
are Oligo-Miocene plus at least one Pliocene and several Pleistocene sites.
Murgon in southeastern Queensland is twice as old and there are older
marsupial sites overseas.

Mike did not describe Montypythonoides although he sorely wishes he did. It
was actually described by Smith and Plane in 1985. A colleague of mine,
John Scanlon, who is working on Australian fossil snakes, doubts the
validity of this taxon. (BUGGER!).

"Thingodonta" was a temporary name for a beast later described as
Yalkaparidon. Similar Archerisms include "Weirdodonta" which became
Yingabalanara and "Hotcrossbunii" which we are desperately pleading with
him not to proceed with.

Anyone interested in other finds and discoveries from Riversleigh should read

Riversleigh
Archer, Hand and Godthelp
Reed Books

Cheers, Paul

pwillis@ozemail.com.au

"Nature conceals her mysteries, not by her cunning, but by her essential
grandeur"
                                Albert Einstein