(sigh) elitist snobbery

    I enjoy this list and feel that I've sort of come to know many people
that post frequently on it.  I like nearly everybody I've met on it.
 There've been some wankers, but for the most part I look forwards to the
times I'm reading my new mail.  I read practically everything and learn a lot
because of it.
    Finding out about dinosaurs (as any paleontologist will tell you) isn't
just knowing how big a particular species was, or how where it was found, but
also what was the area it lived in like, what were it's compatriots.  As an
illustrator ___I___ think it's EXTREMELY important to know about what insects
or fish or plants were alive then, what modern equivalents are alive now
(further references on unanswerable questions like "what color are the
crickets?"), and things even more unanswerable like possible behaviors that
might be expected from dinosaurs or other species currently alive and sharing
the same environment.
   Frequently this means looking modern equivalents of similar species and
comparing them to the older species.  This means paleontologists (amateur or
otherwise) needs to know about EVERYTHING.
   I, for one, do not mind the digressions this group occasionally goes into,
because they usually aren't digressions at all.  There is usually a kernel of
some kind of information about dinosaurs and their environment.   (I'm still
shaking my head over "pidgeon-milk", though-sheesh, what will show up next?)

Betty Cunningham(Flyinggoat@aol.com)
illustrator, animator, and likes to collect dead things