re:a new guy in town

>John wrote:-
> Being a complete novice, I had no ides a that insects were represented in the
> fos
> fossil record.
> Could you enlighten me as to how old the arachnids are?

I thought the rest of the list may want to know about this, hence
this reply.  Arachnids are represented in the Rhynie Chert near
Aberdeen in Scotland.  Terrestrial arachnids (which are not insects)
are found in the Dryden Flags and Shales that are thought to be
Pragian in age based on spores (390-396 Mya).  If you include
scorpions in this discussion, then you have to take it back into the
Silurian.  I know of one scorpion that was found at Lesmahagow (birth
place of the person who wrote the Canadian national anthem) from the
Llandovery age rocks there.  Both these localities are well
represented in our collections and we have the scorpion from
Lesmahagow too.

Neil

Neil Clark
Curator of Palaeontology
Hunterian Museum
University of Glasgow
GLASGOW
G12 8QQ
Scotland/UK
email: NCLARK@museum.gla.ac.uk

'Man must surely have become an immensely worse animal
than his teeth show him to have been designed for'
Hugh Miller (Cruise of the Betsey - 1858)