re:a new guy in town

>Being a complete novice, I had no ides a that insects were represented in the
>fos
>fossil record.
>Could you enlighten me as to how old the arachnids are?

Just to make sure a minor point is clear, arachnids are not
insects.  Both however are arthropods, some members of which
date back to early Cambrian times.  One reference I have is
that fully evolved spiders are known from Pennsylvanian rocks
and probably started evolving much earlier.  Scorpions are
known from Silurian times.  Primitive insects are also known
as far back as the Carboniferous.

Art