A new guy in town

Hi! I have recently suscribed, and this is my first message. First, I want to
introduce myself. My name is Bernardino P. Perez-Moreno (Nino for my friends),
and I am a graduate student in the Department of Paleontology of the
Universidad Autonoma de Madrid (Spain). I am making my Ph.D. on theropod
dinosaurs, specially on ornithomimosaurs.
I have been reading the messages for a week, in order to have an idea of the to
pics. And now I want to make some comments about some of the messages. Let's go
with them. Ah! Another thing: I want to excuse myself by my English. I know it
is no good enough, but I am trying to improve it. My apologies.
Phillip Bigelow said some days ago that the lakes of the rifts are no deep
enough to produce important fossiliferous levels. Well, I don't know if they
are present in the Upper Triassic/Lower Jurassic, but I know one in the Lower C
retaceous. It is the Las Hoyas fossil site, in Cuenca province (Spain). It is
situated in the Iberian Ranges, and it is formed by a rift. It is a continental
 lake, without marine influence, and the sediments are laminated limestones,
that provide a perfect preservation. The richness of the site is incredible. We
 work about two weeks per year, about 40 voluntaires, and we obtain about 2000
specimens per year. OK, most of them are fishes from the same taxa (four or
five), crabs (three or four taxa) and plant remains; but we found usually very
important specimens: birds (do you know _Iberomesornis_ and _Concornis_? Both
of them come from Las Hoyas), non avian dinosaurs (_Pelecanimimus_, and
fragments of _Iguanodon_ and a big theropod), turtles, crocodiles, lizards,
salamanders, frogs, some other taxa of fishes, insects of several types (with a
wonderful preservation of the wings), arachnids, crabs and several vegetal taxa
that include some of the oldest plants with flowers of the fossil record. So, I
think that if this kind of lake exist in the U Triassic/L Jurassic, they are
the place to look for birds or every small vertebrate.
John Schneiderman asked for theropods with armour. I only know two taxa with
some kind of preserved bony scutes: _Ceratosaurus_ (Gillmore, 1920) and
_Carnotaurus_ (Bonaparte, 1985; I am not sure about the year, but I can confirm
it to you later, if anybody want). So, the theropods, some of them at least,
also had dermal armour, although it wasn't so developed as that of the
nodosaurs or titanosaurs.
At last, Darren Naish. Where those news came from? _Iberomesornis_ a
woodpecker-like bird? the Alvarezsaurids birds? the skin of _Nanotyrannus_ is
from a ornithopod? Could you explain these three news?
Well, I am sorry by the lenght of the message. I promise you that the next one
will be smaller.

Bernardino "Nino" Perez-Moreno
Unidad de Paleontologia
Departamento de Biologia