Re: raven

If you're interested in corvids (ravens in particular), I highly
recommend:

 Author:         Heinrich, Bernd, 1940-
 Title:          Ravens in winter / Bernd Heinrich ; illustrations by the
                   author.
 Published:      New York : Summit Books : <Distributed by Simon & Schuster>,
                   c1989.

It's still on my "to get around to reading someday" list, but I've
read other things by Bernd Heinrich and I'm recommending the book
based on those.  Ravens are probably about the smartest dinosaurs
around from what I hear of them.  In an article in _Natural History_
back around November of '93, Heinrich wrote about an experiment he
performed with some of these birds: He took a piece of meat, tied it
to a string, and hung it from a perch.  The string was long enough and
strong enough that the only way that the birds could really get the
meat was to pull up on the string with their beaks, step on part of
the string they'ed pulled up, then reach down and pull up on the
string again etc. etc. until they'd hauled the meat within reach.
Crows couldn't figure out the trick.  Ravens could.

It was a neat article about some neat dinosaurs.