technical dino question

        I was discussing methods with a person yesterday regarding size deter-
mination of an entire animal on the basis of a single bone element. The person
said they recalled seeing a text or report that dealt with estimating body
mass based on femur diameter. Their understanding was that somehow one could
calculate the amount of mass supported by a limb from the diameter through
the bone. They were unable to remember the title or author. Does anyone recall
any such report or text? I am looking for some challenging mathematical calcu-
lations appropriate for 9th/10th grade students involving dinosaur bone casts.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance for your support.
Martin Tillett
Science Instructor
Howard B. Owens Science Center
9601  Greenbelt Road