Re: live birth

Sorry, Bill, I was afraid I might not be making myself very clear.
The 'Critical Size Threshold' was a nice pretentious jargon term, to
describe the point at which a youngster would become visually
'obvious' to a parent, and avoid running the risk of being flattened.

It just strikes me that if they developed to that  [C.S.T. (:-)] size (again,
this
is assuming that a) parental care as evidenced by trackways began
near hatching, and b) that they used sight as their main indication of
the specific whereabouts of their offspring, so as not to crush
them), it would be easier (in biological terms) for them to do it
either within the animal, so necessitating viviparity, or in a large
egg -[ which there are structural problems with] - rather than
growing from any of the eggs we've so far seen.

Thanks for the Camarasaur reference as well (I have to confess, we
got a copy of 'Dinosaur Eggs and Babies' the day it came out......but
I haven't had a chance to do more than flick through it---not good).

But thanks, everyone, for the feedback.  It really helps the research
we're doing just now on our own clutch, and is inputting a lot of
fresh ideas into some problems I've had with 'large bronto adult/
teeny bronto wain[kid]' for some time.

J.J.Liston
Hunterian Museum
University of Glasgow