re: live birth

>Also, there are seasons having to do with oxygen diffusion to
>conclude that the largest known eggs are the largest *possible*
>eggs, as you say below.

    As far as I've been able to determine with the small amount of references
on the subject available to me, the 'assigned' sauropod eggs are still
dwarfed by the Elephant bird eggs that occasionally turn up in Australia.  If
there is a maximum size allowed for eggs, what is the difference in egg
structure between the eggs of the largest Ratites, and the eggs of the
'assigned' sauropods?   Why can Ratite eggs get bigger?
      Most of the information I have on Elephant bird eggs was from a
newspaper article I saw, maybe last year(?), on some kids that found the egg
in the side of a cliff (at the beach, I think).  The egg in the photo was
nearly as large as a soccer ball.  The largest 'assigned' saurapod egg I've
seen was in the JP Exhibit in Seattle last year, and was maybe 8"-10" across,
and not as deep.  Are there larger eggs 'assigned' to sauropods?

Betty Cunningham(Flyinggoat@aol.com)