Re: what is a J.P. Velociraptor

On Wed, 8 Mar 1995, Scott wrote:

> I want to re-label the "Velociraptor" on the _Jurassic_Park_ poster that came
> with the movie. It is drawn to scale with the other dinos to be about the same
> length as Gallimimus (17 feet). It has the tall skull like Deinonychus rather
> than the true Velociraptor. My question is, which name is more appropriate for
> this animal, given this body size and skull shape: Deinonychus, Utahraptor,
> ...?

In keeping with true dinosaur nomenclature, the JP "Velociraptor"
should be named...( Velociraptor sp. )
Since the "Velociraptor" in JP is the product of DNA reconstruction and
manipulation with frog DNA...it might be best to refer this
"manufactured" dinosaur as...( cf.Velociraptor mongoliensis )
I think the best thing to do is to give it it's own genus and species name.
Islandraptor velociraptoroide = Island thief similar in form to Velociraptor

---John Schneiderman (dino@revelation.unomaha.edu)