Re: children education

Our label for the Brontosaurus (Apatosaurus) skeleton does leave something
to be desired.  A more comprehensive one has been in the works for some
time.  However ...

the skeleton on display at Yale is THE Brontosaurus, the specimen for
which O. C. Marsh created the name Brontosaurus.  Although the name has now
been synonymized with the older name, Apatosaurus, it is not incorrect to
refer to that particular specimen as Brontosaurus.

The holotype of Apatosaurus ajax, the specimen for which Marsh created the
name Apatosaurus, is also in the collections of the Peabody Museum.

Mary Ann Turner
Vertebrate Paleontology
Yale Peabody Museum