Re: Common names for dinosaur finds

Incidentally, when writing a story about Scotty,the Saskatchewan T. rex dug up
last year, for Dino Times, I asked the principals involved where the name came
from. I assumed it was the name of some rancher or hiker or somebody who had
stumbled upon the bones to begin with. You know, a nice bit of color for our
newsletter aimed at kids, parents, and teachers. Well, it turns out that
Scotty was named after the bottle of Scotch that the crew consumed while
digging it up! A great story, but I chose not to tell our audience of kids
about it. Oh well.

--Thom Holmes, Publications Director
The Dinosaur Society