Dinotopia

 Hey gang, thanks for the comments on dino fiction. I'll write up my
pile o' books sometime soonish.

RE; Dinotopia - I didn't mention it directly yet but was going to. Three
of us (REC, Mike Brett-Surman, Linda Deck) have strong connections to
it because we were advisors to Jim Gurney during its development. The
next book will supposedly be out this year and, from all I've seen of
it, which is a lot, it should be just as beautiful and wonderful as the
first. His advisory staff has grown and he even put in some Paleozoic
invertebrates for me. I think Tom "Mr. Dino" Holtz has even put his 2
cents in on this one. Anyway, I'll keep you posted as things break.
Jim's an absoultely wonderful guy, by the way, and it's great to see
the first one cross the 1 million copy level worldwide. He's amazing to
watch paint.

The Bradbury short-story is originally in "Golden Apples of the Sun",
I believe. De Camp's answer to it, "A Gun for Dinosaur", the best
dino fiction ever, I believe, was very influential in that it got
Peter Galton into thinking about butting pachycephalosaurs because
Sprague had them butting in the story - taking an off-hand remark by
Colbert in one of hi books, I believe.

Someone mentioned David Drake's 2 books. There's actually a couple
others with paleo aspects. However one, an odd Roman-based tale that
I greatly enjoyed, has some of the most harrowing descriptions of
what a human/horse/t-rex interactions would be. His descriptions of
the reactions of the horses to the t-rex and the implications of an
old Roman villa - with surrounding wall - being where humans try
to hide out from the rex was wonderfully sinister. I'll dig up the
name of the novel soon.

Ta for now. Ralph Chapman, NMNH