RE: DINO FICTION (and CDs)

In message Sun, 5 Mar 1995 12:59:10 -0500,
  Martin Tillett <mtillett@umd5.umd.edu>  writes:

> I'm speaking of a comic book series titled "Age of Reptiles"  by Ricardo
> Delgado. It was reviewd by Science Fiction Age. They said, " As we look
> over the images in this comic book, it starts to sink in just how success-
> fully the artist has brought "the age of reptiles" to life. Delgado's
> craftmanship and love for his subject have clearly paid off, capturing on
> the the printed page the pure stuff of our fascination with dinosaurs.

I did read this series (hey, I'll read almost anything concerned with
dinosaurs -- although wasn't this from '93, or even early '94?),
despite varied scientific flaws and juxtapositions (nothing *too* major,
though; it's fairly well researched). Although Delgado did perhaps make
all of the species a bit more intelligent than seems realistic, he created a
rather clever plotline for the "feud" and managed to convey thoughts and
emotion quite well for a story that not only contains no dialogue or "thought
bubbles," but features no captions or sound effects whatsoever! The artwork
tends to elongate limbs and exaggerate certain features, but also makes it
possible to distinguish between individual members of a particular "tribe"
by markings, scars and "personality" (I was admittedly rather fond of
one Deinonychus which sported a crest of several feathers; too bad he got
munched in the end). I think I was most annoyed by a "gang" of dinosaurs
which lurked in a "sauropod graveyard," its membership including a
Carnotaurus, Baryonyx and Oviraptor among others. It just seemed a tad
silly. Overall, however, I quite enjoyed the series and would eagerly pick
up any subsequent volumes.

Speaking of which, has anyone examined the "Tyrant" series? It's difficult
to come by around here, so I haven't had a chance to really review it. Has
anyone formed an opinion thereupon?

On the subject of dinosaur CD-ROMs, I was perhaps a little too vague in my
reply to Ray McAllister; "Prehistoria" is not published by Knowledge Adventure
and is more comparable with "Microsoft Dinosaurs" than with "3-D Dinosaur
Adventure," being an illustrated encyclopedia of various prehistoric species
(not just dinosaurs!) with several video clips. "3-D DA" is very
kiddie-oriented, and I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I found a great
deal of it highly entertaining. It has its fair share of overly simplified
features, but the 3-D Museum and video clips included on the CD version have
some interesting segments. Several of the clips feature CGI animation
of dinosaurs from the studio which produced the JP animation; while they
are nowhere near as detailed and active as those in the film, several of the
Tyrannosaur clips are very well executed (my favorite is the hunting pair
chasing a couple of Parasaurolophi, only to become distracted and abruptly
veer off towards the "camera," eventually catching up with it!). Another clip
takes an animated T.rex skeleton and adds organs, musculature and
skin as it walks around and snaps at the audience. As usual, it has its fair
share of minor inconsistencies and errors, but it's a rather neat program
nonetheless, and one worth getting if you don't expect to be overly
intellectually stimulated (or if you have kids, but who buys these things
for their kids? *chuckle*).

Hope some of this is useful!

Dan
****