Re: Dino fiction

Regarding the "Sound of Thunder" connected sci-fi novels: there were three of
them, if I recall correctly, but they were, as was commented by someone else
on the list, rather forgettable.  As each one came out, I tried reading it,
but could not finish any of them.  They tended to get into the (regretably)
typical "intelligent dinosaur-alternate timestream" type of stuff, which
didn't keep my interest much.

Much better, also IMHO, are David Drake's tales.  I've seen 'em separately,
and in two paperback collections: "Time Safari" (1982,TOR) and "Tyrannosaur"
(1993,TOR).  The second collection was, I found, a rather hastily thrown
together series of three stories.  The first was a new one, but the second
and third were slightly modified versions of stories found in the first
collection.  Also rather obvious was the "cashing in" on JP: the cover showed
a tyrannosaur in the same pose as the JP logo, with the words "Peril in the
Jurassic" emblazoned across the top.  At least the first collection, "Time
Safari", got the time periods right, and populated the scene with believable
dinosaurs, also correct for the time period, more or less. If you can find
it, "Time Safari" makes for an entertaining read.

Another interesting tale involving dinosaurs is Piers Anthony's "Orn"
(1970,Avon).  It's the second book in a series, but can be read "stand-alone"
as well.  Has some interesting dinosaur behavior; some "old fashioned" ideas
(brachiosaur in the water) plus some "modern" ones (at least, modern for
1970).

And, I found L. Sprague DeCamp's "Rivers of Time" (1993,Baen) stories
enjoyable as well.  Not always dealing strictly with dinosaurs, but quite
enjoyable.  The classic "Gun for Dinosaur" is included in the paperback
collection.

Hayford Pierce's "The Thirteenth Majestral" (1989, TOR), Clifford Simak's
"Mastodonia" (1978, Del Rey), and Rick Gauger's "Charon's Ark" (1987, Del
Rey) are also enjoyable "dinosaur" tales.  "Charon's Ark" offers a unique
explanation for the K-T extinctions.

Finally, two short story collections, "Dinosaurs!" (1990, Ace) and "Dinosaur
Fantastic" (1993, Daw), are recommended.

Regards,
Lyle P. Blosser, dinophile