Re: Casts of good and unique ...

Ray McAllister
wrote--------------------------------------------------------------

>       I am a scrimshaw buff and cannot afford much of the real >thing. I
>have purchased several carved sperm whale teeth so real that I have >been
>told that they are not casts-they are real. I wonder if one of the two
>firms making these are still in business and if so would they make
>similar quality T-rex skulls, etc. The mix of plastic and powdered
>alabaster? is so good even the Mystic Museum people had to test it >with
>UV before saying what it was. They do pan bones of cetaceans that >whalers
>carved.
>       The two firms are Juratone in England, and Artek >somewhere. Maybe
>we could find and check them for techniques or better, get them to >do
>some test runs on some smaller skulls to see quality. Any interest?

>Ray McAllister, Prof (Emeritus) Ocean Eng., FAU, Boca Raton, FL >33064
>Diving Dinosaur, Geologist/Oceanographer/Ocean Engineer, 43 >years SCUBA
>mcallist@gate.net (305) 426-0808, Author Diving Locations, >Boynton/Dania

One of the worst problems with good casts is that they are passed off as origi
nal specimens.  It is not that difficulte to produce great quality casts.
 The tricks of the trade truely involve not damaging the original specimen.

Coloring and painting the cast are easy.  I have worked with many mold makers
who have refused casting jobs because the specimen to be copied was a very
delicate fossil or skull.  In some cases their hesitancy was well founded,
the specimen was to delicate, and rather then destroy it they refused.  Other
times they realized that the mold would be very complicated, with many
undercuts and sections. The question to ask, is it worth the time and
material costs to do the work.

If you have something to cast, you can contact us by e-mail,  We can work
with you on the project, or help you find someone closer for you to talk to.

George Winters
Fossil Recreations, Inc.
111 South Chelsea Park Place
Tucson, AZ 85748