Re: hyperspace museums

> cyberspace museums would provide a wonderful resource for kids who live
> in nowheresville like i did.  often rural schools have no $ for trips,
> nor do rural parents often.

I grew up in very rural Pennsylvania where going to the museum was
like going to Disneyland.  The cyberspace museum would allow rural
schools to teach about dinosaurs, a subject that sometimes gets over
looked in the "creationist" bible belt.  This audience would benefit
the most from this form of "museum".  In my opinion, museums will
never be phased out completely by an electronic substitute, but
it will serve as an indespensible supplement.

In addition, I already have a CD 3-d dinosaur museum.  It came with
the multimedia computer that I recently purchased.  You have to wear
a pair of 3-D specs, but you open up the museum doors and you can
"walk" up to a giant T-Rex head.  You can "walk" around either side
of it, move in close to look at the teeth, check it out from behind,
etc.  It is very detailed and for someone who has never had the
opportunity to see one in a museum it would be very appealing since
you can get closer to the computer one than you can to a real
display.  The only draw back is that you can only cruise the museum
for about 15 minutes before the "motion" and the 3-D glasses make you
want to puke.

Heather L. Ramsay
Laboratory Manager                  Work = (919)515-3596
Forestry Department                 Home = (919)848-9241
North Carolina State University     Email = Ramsay@cfr.cfr.ncsu.edu
Box 8008                            FAX = (919)515-6193
Raleigh, NC 27695