Education - I'm doing my part.

     In regards to getting "correct" dino information to the public, I
     think I am doing my part.  I volunteer at the Academy of Natural
     Sciences in Philadelphia as a dinosaur docent.  I am not a
     professional paleontologist (I'm a biologist) but realize that I
     can contribute to the dino knowledge of the public.  It is a great
     learning opportunity for me.  I learn many things from the
     children who visit.  They frequently ask questions that I must go
     look up in a book with them.  We both benefit!

     Also, I recently attended a "presentation skills" seminar at
     American Cyanamid where I gave a short presentation on "What is a
     Dinosaur?"  I was intimidated at first when I realized there were
     more Phd's in the room than not.  I thought they might think my
     talk was too basic for them.  I was pleasantly surprised that they
     enjoyed the presentation and especially the Albertosaurus tooth
     and a few other teeth I had brought with me to show them "real"
     examples.

     After this presentation, the seminar leader asked if I would
     consider being on the Amer. Cyan. "Speaker's Bureau".  This group
     goes out to local schools and teaches children about a variety of
     topics.  I can do dinosaurs and also insects.  If anyone is
     interested in the Princeton area ... let me know.

     Everyone should volunteer some of their time.  I consider myself
     an "arm-chair paleontologist" but (no offense to anyone :-)) mine
     is not a Lazy-Boy.  I am already considering additional volunteer
     work with the American Red Cross despite the fact I work a
     full-time job and have two night classes per week!  And yes, I do
     have a life!

     Jim Cristea,   American Cyanamid Company,   Princeton, NJ
     cristeaj@pt.cyanamid.com

     These opinions are not American Cyanamid's
     ... They may not even be my own...