Re: armchairs, & other topics

>5)  I don't foresee museum displays being replaced by on line visual
>reality "museums" because of the enormous amount of money to get and
>maintain a mainframe, and to digitize images.  Besides, given a choise
>between looking at a photograph of the Grand Canyon and standing on the
>rim, isn't knowing you are looking at the real thing part of the awe?
>If you've never been to the Canyon, then I can not possibly describe the
>FEELING (not the look).

That is what they said about the prospect of having a computor in every
office not too many years ago. Sure it is expensive *now* but in 10 years,
who knows?
WRT the Grand Canyon, I agree, there is no substitute for the real think.
But -and this is the whole point - how many people get the opportunity to
see the real thing? I would hope the cyberspace will act as an
introduction, enthusing people due to their ability to interact with the
items, and encouraging further investigation. The Grand Canyon is awesome,
but if you do not have the opportunity to visit it, surely cyberspace could
be the next best thing.

Chris

cnedin@geology.adelaide.edu.au,   nedin@ediacara.org
it was all downhill from there.