Public viewing, what priority?

Stan Friesen recently posted a message on Raymond the Triceratops in which he
stated that "public viewing is the least important part of what a natural
history museum is about." I e-mailed Stan and told him that I could not
disagree more with him on that statement. Given the general tenor of
discussion on this list--that VP's should be reaching out to help educate the
public about science in general, and paleontology in particular (see the many
postings on JP, dinosaur toys and documentaries)--I can't help but feel that
many folks on this list would agree that museums are an extremely important
part of that public education out-reach effort.  Am I wrong? Or is there
really a consensus out there that "public viewing" has been so de-valued as
to now be at the bottom of our priority list?