Re: Arm-chair Paleontologists

Martin,
        You are to be commended for telling it like you see it. I wish,
sometimes, that I was a professional paleontologist instead of a
lifelong dino lurker. But, yes, we do need to forget egos and concentrate on
seizing the moment while dinos are glamorous to educate the people that
support this research. If that means more open museums, so be it. If it
means the pros giving free lectures in schools, at retirement homes, Navy
Leagues, etc, to get them on our side, so be it.
        I was looked down on for giving a free lecture a week for years
when Ocean Engineering was new, but by golly it sure hyped up the local
populace on the ocaen.
        My name is on record with the local newspapers and TV stations as a
resource on anything to do with the ocean and most things to do with
geology. Better my best guess than a totally off the wall reporters story.
How about you pros sacrificinga few hours a month for free lectures,
particulary to schools? And let it be known in your area. We could get a
lot of good dino support that way and we *need* support.

Diving Dinosaur, Geologist/Oceanographer/Ocean Engineer, 43 years SCUBA
mcallist@gate.net (305) 426-0808, Author Diving Locations, Boynton/Dania