Re: museum

How does this museum deal with environmental control, UV exposure, and
the risks of theft and vandalism? I remember visible-storage exhibits
fondly, too, but the deterioration of them through poor conditions or
human misbehavior was one reason they have been abandoned. Visible-
storage exhibits are notoriously difficult to keep secure, and
notoriously easy to break into. And losing your material is no way to
fulfill your public-trust mission.
It is canonical in museum science that exhibition is the most risky form
of storage. It is also true that people like to see who you are and what
you do. We do this with regular behind-the-scenes tours for members. In
our new area, we plan to have a couple of visible labs and exhibits, but
not a visible storage area or visible storage. It only takes one bozo to
wreck what should be a good idea.
Sally Shelton
Director, Collections Care and Conservation
|                 San Diego Natural History Museum                      |
|                          P. O. Box 1390                               |
|                San Diego, California   92112  USA                     |
|             phone (619) 232-3821; FAX (619) 232-0248                  |
|                     email LIBSDNHM@CLASS.ORG                          |