Re: Dino fiction

Well, my colleague Patrick Butler and I assembled a list of murder
mysteries set in/around/about museums for a presentation at the American
Association of Museums meeting last year. "Murder in the Museum" has gone
over very well every time it is presented and the updated bibliography
will be printed in the AAM Sourcebook this year, as will our first
filmography, "Museums at the Movies." This is all part of a larger
project on popular culture and the public image of museums. Patrick is
taking the art and history angle; I am working on the natural history
side. It may even turn into a book with extensive annotated
bibliographies. If you are planning to be at AAM in Philadelphia this
year, we will be presnting "Museums at the Movies," and dinosaur
representations will be discussed.

Dinosaur-related books and movies are disproportionately represented and I
would be glad to send a copy of the lists to anyone interested. I'll give
you one example: in  _Murder by Reference_ by D. R. Meredith (set in the
not-at-all-disguised Panhandle-Plains Museum in Texas), you will find the
only death by Triceratops exhibit that I know of.

Of course, if anyone has suggestions for works to include in our lists,
please send them on. This has turned out to be an extremely interesting
way to explore where many of the public biases about museums,
collections, and collections workers are reflected. Right now I am trying
to pull together every instance in a 50s movie where someone intones
"There are things man was not meant to know" or the equivalent.

Anita Cohen-Williams has a bibliography of archaeology in fiction
available through the ARCH-L listserver. Since many writers can't keep
archaeo and paleo separate, there are a few overlap works here, too.

Cheers,
Sally Shelton
Director, Collections Care and Conservation
|                 San Diego Natural History Museum                      |
|                          P. O. Box 1390                               |
|                San Diego, California   92112  USA                     |
|             phone (619) 232-3821; FAX (619) 232-0248                  |
|                     email LIBSDNHM@CLASS.ORG                          |