So what're you going to do?

    I've been very interested to see most of the "arm-chair paleontologists"
up in arms over the lack of correct and current info in our schools.   I
notice the professionals (who are all probably involved with education at a
higher learning level, or are in the commercial field) complain that the
"public" doesn't seem to want to know anything.
    What, pray tell, have the professionals and the armchairs' done to make
themselves available to correct the problems they see with the public.
    With the professional's you've got Bakker being the most upfront as a
representative to the general public.  And probably the one with phone
numbers in the hands of agents in Hollywood and with the Networks.  Why
doesn't the SVP have a representative for movies, documentaries, and film?
 Does the SVP call studios and offer their survices?  You've got Jack Horner
advising a movie that is PREDICTED to be the biggest money maker in history,
and he doesn't get behind it as much as he could have to improve it.   Why
didn't he suggest a paleontology student as an on-site assistant.  They're
cheap (sorry) and they would have easily been able to correct most of the
problems we see know with the movie.  If the studio just wanted the Horner
name, they could have used this intern as a go-btween Jack in Montana, and
the studio.  (Though I was impressed with how much Hollywood HAD gotten
right.  Definently a new record)

>"He admitted that there were mistakes and problems, but many of
>these occured because his schedule and the very tight filming >schedule did
not allow him to be there as much as was necessary.  >Sometimes shots were
called without consulting Jack because of >his unavailability, other
decissions were made for drama (keep >the story line interesting) or
financial reasons.  Only a few times >were changes made after the fact based
on Jack's comments, >after all it costed a LOT of money to reshoot scenes.
 >Nevertheless, Jack gave it his blessing when it was through
>because it made dinosaurs REALLY come a live, and that I fully >agree with.

    What are the armchair paleontologists doing?  I like Ray's idea of a
paleontology merit badge, but why mention it to paleontologists?  Why not
mention it to the Boy Scouts?   Why come down on educators' heads about bad
tools, and instead, buy your local school a good book on the subject of
dinosaurs.  I had the whole British Museum collection of dinosaur and marine
reptile series, and I donated it to my nephew's school, when I learned they
were trying to study dinosaurs and hadn't anything aimed at K-6 grades except
coloring books.   If you know a local school, and you're in a club for rocks
or fossils or whatever, call them and offer your services.  Take a group on a
fieldtrip.  Talk to a class.   MAKE the kids interested.
   Get off your butts, stop whining about the state of education and go
educate somebody.   Professional educators are not the only people that can
influence children or the public.

Betty Cunningham(Flyinggoat@aol.com)
(who, while enjoying the discussion so far,  wants to make a point that we
are ALL responsible for the current state of affairs)