Re: "Raymond" the triceratops

I have a problem with the collector retaining ownership of the
fossil, despite the fossil being held in a museum.  It is certainly
against the policy of the museum I work in that specimens published
on are owned by private collectors.  As far as I know, no journal
should accept a scientific paper describing material in private
collections as there is no control, no proper registration, and no
knowing what the intentions of the collector are WRT the specimen in
the future.  No matter how scientifically inportant a specimen is, we
cannot expect a museum to take on the responsibility of looking after
such a specimen without full control.  I suppose the way round this
is to give the owner special priviledges, invite them to exhibition
openings etc, IF they donate the specimen to the museum.

There have been too many problems with private collection specimens,
that have been published on, going missing or the owner having a
misunderstanding with the museum staff and removing the specimens he
legally owns.  There are just too many problems with long term and
permanent loans from private collections of material that is, or
will, be published on that these types of loans are abolished at this
museum at least.

I hope this doesn't rile anyone, but it is important to understand
why scientifically important specimens should be owned by a public
institution and not the private individual.  I would like to know what
the policy is in other museums on this matter, but please reply off
the list as I think this discussion is of limited application to
the dinosaur group here (perhaps of more relevance to the fossil_nut
group?).

Neil

Neil Clark
Curator of Palaeontology