References & KT

2 Points:

1) I somewhere was given the distinct impression that there are mechanisms
that can allow sediments to be displaced into impact zones after the impacts
as part of the massice structural changes that occur. In my own naive view,
I guess these would be sedimens that slump into the impact area after, or
resettle in somehow. My knowledge is not in that area, but can see where
sediments seen only in cores can be indistinguishable from those more
normally deposited in place. I would keep a look out for discussions of
this aspect relative to those Cretaceous sediments found in the impact site.

2) 2 new references of interest just out (or at least at NMNH library) include
a short perspective note in Science (3FEB95, 267:637-8) by Alan Feduccia
on the explosive evolution of Tertiary birds and mammals, including discussion
on the Mesozoic history of birds and some food for thought for cladists and
molecular types.
   The second is a neat paper by Ralph Molnar and J. Wiffen (Cretaceous
Research, 15:689-706, 1994) on a Late Cretaceous polar dinosaur fauna from
New Zealand. Although the material is generally scrappy, Ralph and J.
seem to have material from a large theropod, a sauropod, an ankylosaur
(maybe Mimni) and a pterosaur. They suggest differences with the
equivalent faunas from Australia (vicariance assumed) and suggest that
both large and small forms were able to make a living in cool to cold-temperate
seasonal New zealand climates. Neat. May argue against just migration,
but haven't read it yet.

Ralph Chapman, NMNH