Re: Placement of Segnosaurs within the Dinosauria

>After reading Thomas R. Holtz's article "The Phylogenetic Position of the
>Tyrannosauridae: inplications for theropod systematics", I got to
>wondering...is there enough material known or associated with Segnosaurs
>to place it within the Theropod cladogram? If so, where? I think there
>was a metatarsus found and an article written about Erlicosaurus recently.

At the time I wrote that paper (~92), segnosaurs were still largely
regarded as being outside of Theropoda.  With the discovery of Alxasaurus,
the position of therizinosauroids (=segnosaurs) is securely withing
Coelurosauria, and probably Maniraptora.  Work is in progess by various
paleontologists (including myself) to find out, among other things, where
exactly the therizinosauroids lie.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
tholtz@geochange.er.usgs.gov
Branch of Paleontology & Stratigraphy