Re: ceratopsian questions

Regarding Pat's question about the ceratopsian beaks...
I've wondered the same thing, especially when comparing skeletons to
reconstructions (which generally show the beak with a full-shearing
edge).  My amateur hypothesis is that they were covered in horn or
similar substance, that would grow beyond the parameters of the bone and
create a surface more suitable for shearing/slicing.

I remember reading somewhere that the ceratopsians evolved along with a
"boom" in the evolution of cycads, and that the beaks might be a
development enabling them to tear into the pulpy inside of these plants,
which might make a "puncturing" reconstruction of the beak somewhat
justifiable.  Anyone have any ideas on this?

Matt.