RE: THOSE ARTIFACTS FOR S

LA>I know there _are_ meteorites that are ascribed a Martian origin -
LA>but I found it hard to believe that _this_ company should have them
LA>for sale.  But the phrasing using "29. MARS ROCK Rock which fell to
LA>Earth as a Meteorite and believed by Scientists to have orginated [sic]
LA>from the Planet Rock [sic] as a result of expulsion after a meteor hit
LA>the Planet" not only sounds like the Home Shopping Channel dancing around
LA>a qualification, but the typos make them look distinctly back-alley
LA>for purveyors of such expensive objects (two kilobucks a gram!).

Especiallly since common meteorite specimens are often advertised in the
range of $1.00 per gram in whole or in part.

LA>I've been looking into their price list - a lot of stuff that I
LA>assumed was a casting or reproduction does on re-reading look they
LA>are supposed to be originals.  I also noticed: "3. Hand Carved Dinosaurs
LA>from Original Dinosaur Bone" - which, if true, should certainly brand
LA>them as an authentic nightmare, even for a free-marketeer such as my-
LA>self.  Destroying a fossil in order to create an art object make _me_
LA>more than a little queasy, it makes me mad.

At a recent Rock Show I saw such objects offered for sale and listed as
from China.

LA>But there's more: I count no less than five entries for sauropod eggs.
LA>This, in the midst of a debate that notes that there _are_ no proven
LA>sauropod eggs, and in the face of well-known (if not deadly serious)
LA>professionals claiming live birth!  Worse, at least one offering is of
LA>Chinese eggs, and it disingenuously notes they are "no longer" allowed
LA>to be exported so prices will rise!  Given the length of time it has
LA>been illegal to remove dinosaur eggs from China, I find it very improb-
LA>able that these eggs are legit specimens that were exported that long
LA>ago and only _now_ are being offered.  Quite aside from selling such
LA>things as an investment.

Again at that same Rock Show I saw a total of several dozen such eggs as
single specimens and as groups, all allegedly from China.  They looked
to my Amateur's eyes to be real.  They were well beyond my budget.

LA>I note a Mosasaur mounting for $170,000,

Sometime last year there was on display in a shop in Seattle called
Museum Associates a mosasaur on a large framed limestone plate for
$22,000.  A few months later it was gone, sold I assume.

 * OLX 2.1 TD * ""Internet Highway""? No Sir this is 1-800-GET-LOST !
---
 ~ CDMG ONLINE BBS # Sacramento, California # (916) 327-1208