Re: Questions about dinosaur skin

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. wrote:

> [major part snipped]
> overlapping scales of lepidosaurs (tuataras and squamates).

When I was a small kid back in the very early '50's, I was given a kid's
natural history book which first whetted my interest in dinosaurs and other
things ancient... and probably also helped lead me to study archaeology.  Of
course, that whole chapter of my life is now ancient history, but the
fascination remains.

Among the critters mentioned in the book were a "living fossil" called
tuatara.  This was the first that I heard the term "living fossil," and the
concept grabbed me.

Unfortunately, I have seen very little else since about the tuatara or its
ilk.  I understand if memory serves that it is an ancient form of lizard or
lizard relative, that it is now found on some islands off New Zealand, that
it has been said to have a pineal eye, and that it is a surviving remnant
from dino days.

I promise that I'm not trying to get info for any sort of research paper! :>
(I'm so swamped with my current development project at work that I barely
have time to read my e-mail!)  However, if anyone can fill in some of the
rather substantial gaps in my knowledge about this strange little critter,
I'd be much obliged!  :D

Skip Dahlgren
Applications Programmer, Office of Educational Development
Phone: 501/296-1087; FAX: 501/686-5905
e-mail: sdahlgren@liblan.uams.edu; bcsskip@aol.com
-ex-archaeologist; lifelong afficionado of dinosaurs and their latter-day kin