Re: Did Dinosaurs BECOME Oil?

>From: stssram@st.unocal.com (Bob Myers)
 > > I believe planktonic "oozes" in isolated ocean basins is a more likely
 > > environment.  I'm not sure what the percentage of organic matter in the
 > > delta is, but I'd suspect too much non-organic silt.
 >
 > There's an awful lot of oil in the Mississippi Delta.  We (Unocal) do a lot
 > of oil drilling there.  I think a lot of organic material flows out of the
 > deltas in addition to the silt.

I have heard that before - that is why I specified the Mississippi
Delta.  Also I seem ot remember reading at least the abstract of
a paper that studied conditions in the delta and concluded that
at the right depths the organics present in the delta could become
oil in times on the order of centuries to millenia - that is almost
instantaneously in geological terms.

 > I'm not on the geological side of the oil exploration business here at
 > Unocal, but I do know that we do a *lot* of oil drilling in major river
 > delta areas, like the Mississippi, the Mahakam (Indonesia), and the Chao
 > Phraya (Thailand) deltas.  Those are, in fact, our 3 most important oil &
 > gas fields.

For that matter, much of the Miocene rocks around here (in California)
are coastal deposits of one sort or another - mostly fan-deltas.
And as Art said, we do have a good deal of oil drilling going on
here (Signal Hill, a couple of miles from my apartment is just
covered with oil wells - not to mention the Rancho La Brea area).

The peace of God be with you.