Re: colour

>Also notice that most small nocturnal mammals are gray colored.
>The colorful mammals evolved that condition *after* they >returned to
daylight.

    Bats are colorful, and they are more or less related to early primates
(depending on who you talk to).  Some bats are as colorful as Monarch
butterflies. They are certainly nocturnal.
    Painted bats(Kerivoula) are orange with black wing patches(notice this is
skin coloring), Spotted bats(Euderma Maculatum) are black with white spots,
the Northern Yellow bat(Lasiurius intermedius) is, well, yellow, the Hoary
bat(Lasiurus cinereus) has bi-colored wings, the Eastern Red bat(Lasiurus
borealis) is fox-red with white throat patches, the Variegated Butterfly
bat(Glauconycteris variegata) is yellow with black and white designs (again,
not a fur coloration), the Superb Butterfly bat(Glauconycteris superba) looks
like a spotted skunk, the Yellow-winged bat(Lavia frons) is grey with yellow
wings (not fur coloring), The Queensland Tube-nosed Fruit bat(no, I'm not
making that up)(Nyctimene robinsoni) is grey with black wings with yellow
polkadots (skin, again, not fur), and the Honduran White bat(Ectophylla alba)
is, well, white.
  Is it possible that the grey coloring you refer to is generally reserved
for ground dwelling mammals?  Like skunks? (Yeah, yeah, I know, special case)

Betty Cunningahm(Flyinggoat@aol.com)