Re: Did Dinosaurs BECOME Oil?

 From: Willa25743@aol.com

 >While talking to my sister about dinosaurs, she commented that they "all
 > turned to oil." ...
 >
 > I'm not really current with theories on how oil was formed, but my perception
 > is that oil deposits more probably resulted much earlier from organic (even
 > unicellular) matter deposited and fossilized at the mouths of prehistoric
 > rivers.

This is roughly correct.  There is some reason to suppose that oil
formation is still going on, for instance in the Mississippi Delta.

 > * There is little or no connection between dinosaurs and the formation of
 > oil.

True, as far as I can tell.

 > * The dinosaur->oil connection is a widely-held misconception, especially
 > among baby boomers.

This seems likely, but I have no basis for certainty on this matter.

 > * Petroleum's sources are generally/always/often from earlier geologic times.

I think most economically important oil reserves do date from
Paleozoic times, but I would hesitate to say that oil deposits
in general *always* are that old.

 > * Crude oil was formed in many ways, e.g. the disputed theory linking a
 > Swedish asteroid impact crater with oil deposits.

I would place little credance on that "theory" - the guy is pretty
much a crackpot.

>From what little I have read, my impression is that oil mostly
forms from the degradation of microplankton when rapidly buried
and heated, as might happen in a major river delta.  I have not
heard any serious proposals for any other substantial source.

 > * There's little or nothing we can do to dispell this fanciful notion. It
 > will have to fade away on its own. We should ignore/dispute dino-to-oil
 > comments disseminated by mass media.

I disagree here.  Folk tales do not fade away on their own.  If we
who know do not actively correct these things, they will last
indefinately.

The peace of God be with you.