Re: Colored skin

>I suspect they had some color and patterning - not bright, necessarily,
>but serving to camouflage them against the background.  If, however,
>they had color vision, as birds do, then color might have been heavily
>involved in sexual displays - they might have had flashy, colorful
>crests, bright displays on back or chest or face, and otherwise be
>similar to our modern birds in terms of color use.  Sadly, we can't
>yet prove this either way.  If we were to find a mummified eye that
>would let us guess at the rods-vs-cones ratio, it would tell us some-
>thing, but for now, color is much the province of the theories you
>believe in.  Incidently, this observation works both ways - if we
>can prove they were colorful, it argues for color vision.

Some animals that use color for mating displays tend to have enhanced
colors during mating seasons and muted or no color at other times.
And certainly, coloration usually coincides with sexual maturity.
Also, some animals that use color for camouflage change their coloration
during the year to adapt to changing environments.
Lastly, there are the chameleon type animals that can actively
change their pigmentation.
I see no reason that all of these may not have existed somewhere in
dinosauria, given the wide variety that existed.

Art