Re: T. rex hearing

>On p. 191 of his book _The Complete T. rex_, Horner mentions a special
>anatomical innovation which tyrannosaurs possessed that were discovered
>by one of his grad students.  He does not disclose what this innovation
>was, stating that he wanted his student to publish this information
>first.  I am wondering if this innovation has been described yet, and if
>so, what is the reference in which it is.

Presumably, this is the answer to your question (since the abstracts have
to do with dino hearing, and since Kristin Junette is a Horner student):

Junette, K.  1993.  Possible implications of cranial synovial joints in
sound reception in archosaurus.  Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology, 13
(Supplement to issue 3): 43A.

Suggests that the excellent hearing ability of modern archosaurs (birds &
crocs) may be related to the synovial joints in their skulls (a curiosity
in crocs since their skulls are otherwise akinetic).

Junette, K.  1994.  Treatment of habitat regimes in dinosaur acoustical
studies.  Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology, 14 (Supplement to issue 3):
31A.

Discusses different "acoustical environments -- habitat, function, and
phylogeny", and the effect of these environments on sound generation and
reception.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
tholtz@geochange.er.usgs.gov
Branch of Paleontology & Stratigraphy