Re: homework questions

Date sent:      Sat, 18 Mar 1995 16:06:20 -0500
Send reply to:  psparks@CERF.NET
>From:           psparks@CERF.NET (paul sparks)
To:             Multiple recipients of list <dinosaur@lepomis.psych.upenn.edu>
Subject:        homework questions

One thing that I don't think has been thought about is that the
computer/internet resources of these kids and teachers my be entirely
limited to e-mail.  In that event refering them to the web or even
newsgroups is useless to them.  They would also be the most probable people
that have lousy libraries like we have i9n the area of the world that I
live. So maybe there are some questioners that have only "us" as a useful
resource.

paul w. sparks  Psparks@cerfnet.com
"over the heather the wet wind blows
I've lice in my tunic and a cold in my nose."
anon

My message:-

I think that it is important that school children have the opportunity
of using the internet to communicate with scientists.  If their
questions appear trivial, or can be easily answered by looking in a
book, is irrelevant.  I feel that the important issue here is
communication and interaction with the world.  I would encourage
students to make use of the internet as an aid to any project.  I
think that in many cases the teacher is offering the students the
opportunity to use this medium as an additional source to work with
along with library facilities (if availible), not as an alternative.

Sorry I tagged this onto your message Paul.  I could have tagged it
onto anyones, but I agree with what you stated.

Neil

Neil Clark
Curator of Palaeontology
Hunterian Museum