Re: Student homework

>"I find it hard to believe that there are schools in the US and Canada that
>are too impoverished to have a school librarian and inter-library loan."
>
>This may surprise you,  but there are literally thousands of schools in the
>U.S. and Canada in exactly that situation.  And the situation actually seems
>to have gone backward in recent years,  as many school libraries have been
>closed for reconversion into classrooms.

I don't consider Santa Barbara, CA to be exactly the backwaters, and
we're in one of the best grade schools in the area.  But even though
our school would be considered affluent, next year's budget looks
bad.  Unless parents step up to volunteer the funds, it looks like
the school library will not have have a regular librarian next year.
Only a person whose main job will be checking books in and out.
Luckily, the other public libraries are OK (even though funding
has been shrinking over recent years).

Art